05 September 2009

Just One of the Girls (1)


I never planned on writing about my work place until about a month ago. I realized that my 13 years as one of only three males working at an elementary school might have some interest or at the least some humor. I then began to think about those 13 years and the stories I heard from the women I've come know and care about deeply. So, I will now post from time to time the situations, conversations and just overall frivolity that is being "Just One of the Girls".
It began 13 years ago. I was hired as a First Grade Bilingual (Spanish) Teacher. I went to school for my first day of work; it was for a team meeting of the other six new hired teachers and the principal. Now, meeting the principal at any age is still as nerve racking as you remember when you're in grade school. I went in and was standing by the Men's Bathroom waiting to go into our meeting. The principal came out of her office and walked right up to me. The small talk was over quick and she put forth the question that has rang in my memory to this day. "Are you married?" she asked. I answered the affirmative and her reply, "Great, you'll be safe." And, added, "Oh, that bathroom, its only the Men's room in name only; so lock when you're in it and don't be surprised when a female comes out." With that, my career was off and running. Now, I've long gotten over seeing women come out of the restroom but you'll have to ask my one colleague if she is over the time I forgot to lock the door. (Probably, I'll guess, because she still gives me hand-me-downs for my daughter). My marriage has kept me safe, I suppose, in that I have gained a level of confidence in the subject matter discussed in my presence. Truly, there is no topic that has not been breached in my presence. To say that I have not enjoyed these times would be a lie because I have found that in the circumstance of working with people, 99% of which are women for 13 years, I have found a comfort and camaraderie not found with men. Thus, when the stories of these adventures with words such as "nipular" or "pumping" come into play, I'll remind myself and any reader that the women behind these events are incredible, dedicated and creative forces leading children into the greater world of learning with verve and excellence. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment