06 September 2009
Just One of the Girls (3)
A response, the definition for response is: a verbal or written answer, so what happens when a “response” is inappropriate or uncomfortable? Add to that moment that you are one of only three males at a workplace. (That workplace being the school where I teach second grade) Now, I’ve never been a shy person or quiet about feelings. I can tease and be teased and have learned to keep a relatively even keel through the process. (In my younger days I couldn’t I'll be honest here) Thus, if you’d ask people their ideas about how a school’s staff acts, you’d get lots of answers like ordinary, calm or collected. Well, my school has never been ordinary in any manner of the word.
When I was hired, it was by the school’s former principal. She remembered my student teaching and contacted me for the position. The current principal, at the time, was out of town. I’ve mentioned my principal’s (boss) first words to me before in another post. She asked if I was married and gave me the rules for the restroom. (See Just One of the Girls 1) Well, she had an incredible knack of making statements that would catch you grasping for a response. Two of my closer friends/colleagues were pregnant and their due dates were fairly close. They were both on the same grade level team and naturally spent a great deal of time together. One morning, I ran across the two during a break and they were in hysterics. I naturally wanted to know the root of this lightheartedness and asked what was happening. After a few tries of explaining through the laughter and tears, apparently our leader (principal) had just come across the pair a few moments earlier. She was asking about their pregnancies, all the usual questions, and laid upon them a phrase that lives until this very day. Her comment? Well, upon hearing of my colleagues physical feelings, baby room plans and finally due dates uttered her famous words, “Well, with both your hips and being big strapping girls, you’ll do fine in delivery.” Seriously?, was my first question but I knew of our principal’s ability to make such statements. Consequently, when matters such a diets, clothing sizes or any size issues arise my two friends always refer to the phrase-“Well being the big strapping girls we are . . .” and complete whatever thought is needed to complete. I cherish these inside jokes and moments of craziness. Each adds to the tapestry of relationships with the people I work with each day. Every incident brings us closer and creates a bond that I would never want broken. I’m not sure that happens in male dominated work places. It probably does, I just haven’t had that experience in an office or workplace. I have found that bond in athletics and in my coaching of sports over the years, so who knows. Peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment