13 September 2009

Just One of the Girls (5)


Each phase of life contains defining moments. These moments can be personal or public, either give significance to our circumstance and growth. In our personal lives, we phase through childhood and adolescence with ourselves as the center of our world. That myopic view can carry us through our early adult years, however, a moment comes when it hits you that spouses, children, greater family, and friends are the true focal point in our existence. That is not to say that our need for attention fades completely, it just becomes less intense. The bridge we cross from our inward driven personas to more altruistic views spans a wide river of life experiences. However, with today’s “Instant Society” mentality there are fewer places where longevity plays a role.  Curiously, in the field of education the label of “long time employee”, as it were, still holds traction. In fact, in the field of education, it’s a goal to be at your job for thirty years. Thus, in the trekking of school years, one is hopefully blessed with people to bond and create defining moments. With luck and some help from friends or family, maybe a little faith, your selfish manner of existence finds an outward focus.

With that in mind, I recall in my earlier years at my school (when I was just beginning to break into the “Girls Club”) a moment that was a small step forward to gaining points with what has become my support group at work.
Our school year had started and our principal wanted to give us tools to work with students with difficult behaviors. She decided that a video about the “Horse Whisperer” would do the trick. (Now, forgive me because this story should be for spoken word but I hope the humor comes through) The video began innocently enough with introductions of the expert and his work but quickly turned into the love of the horses, etc. I, not being that grand on being subtle, couldn’t take much more after about 20 minutes of this fiasco. I, as I always did in school and to this day, sat in the back with friends making snide remarks when it happened. It just came to me and I let out this very low whinny, (insert sound here) almost a whisper. Of course, a few around us heard and began to laugh quietly. And, of course, I couldn’t resist but to let out another whinny, only louder. I fact, it was so loud the entire staff heard and set off a collective holding of breath and gritting of teeth. My closest friends and I were in tears and could see the principal, OUR BOSS, looking around as each of us teachers would at students misbehaving. I honestly can’t remember what the Boss said next but the video was turned off and the staff meeting ended in haste. I do remember the second my friends and I cleared the building that we continued our hysterical laughter and I was congratulated for the accomplishment of getting us out of the meeting. I also remember telling my wife what a hero I was only to be reminded I was still on a temporary contract and to keep my mouth shut for at least another year to reach my permanent status. I suppose that was sound advice.

I trace back the bridge I’m crossing and realize these moments have brought me to a sobering truth. Although I’ve reveled in sophomoric actions from time to time to paint my self-portrait in bold color schemes, the muted tones of inclusion of a group dynamic are where I thrive. Playing the clown, covering for a colleague or just being an honest friend enable us to build relationships you might not realize matter so much at the time. But, in the end, take that childhood “me” centered world and bring you defining moments that carry you for a lifetime. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment